- Progression and Careers
- Entry Requirements
- Facilities and Services
- Registration and Applying
If you're aiming for a career in bricklaying, this course is an excellent place to start. Through a combination of practical tasks and theoretical study, you will learn how to create basic masonry structures, mix construction materials, and construct block walling, cavity walling and brick walling. Specific units you will study include Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction and Associated Industries; Knowledge of Technical Information, Quantities and Communication with others; and Knowledge of Construction Technology.
If you undertake this Level 1 Diploma in Bricklaying you will cover knowledge in three core subject areas:
- Health, safety and welfare
- Technical information, quantities and communication
- Knowledge of construction technology
You will also learn key practical skills and knowledge in:
- Construct cavity walling
- Construct block walling
- Mix construction materials
- Setting out for basic masonry structures
- Construct brick walling
Practical assessments and online multiple testing.
This study programme will give you the opportunity to progress into further education, apprenticeships or employment in brickwork.
What can I earn as a construction worker? When you're deciding what to study post-16, it's important to think about where your course will lead. As a qualified construction worker you'll be starting on a career path with loads of opportunity for progression ? and a good salary in your sights. For example:
- Bricklayers start on around £17,000 a year and can earn £27,000 with 3-5 years' experience
- Plumbers start on around £18,000 a year and can earn £30,000 with 3-5 years' experience
- Construction supervisors start on around £24,000 a year and can earn £35,000 with 3-4 years' experience
- 3 GCSEs D-G / or 3-1 (in 2017 GCSEs)
- Relevant industry experience
The course is 20% theory (classroom based) and 80% practical (workshop based), plus a minimum of one week's work experience.
Process for Application
To apply please select your chosen start date and location above.