- Progression and Careers
- Entry Requirements
- Facilities and Services
- Registration and Applying
The Explorer Programmes are suitable for learners who are considering either BTEC or Apprenticeship routes. The purpose is for learners to find out if a career in construction is one that will work for them and to plan for the future.
Aims of the course
This Explorer Course will allow students to develop their knwoledge of the Construction industries and encourage them to enhance their skills in a sector of their choice. The courses is one that will prepare them for further development.
You will learn the fundamental traits to the trade in order for you to make an informed choice about what skills you would like to develop further within the sector.
Internall assessed and externally assessed portfolio
Learners who have taken this Explorer Programme could potentially complete the following qualifications and apprenticeships in the sector: Apprenticeship
- Construction Building
- Construction Civil Engineering ? specialisms include construction operations, formwork, highways maintenance, plant operations, and road building
- Construction Specialist - Plastering, and thermal insulation
- Construction Management
Qualifications, full-time study
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Construction Occupations
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment
- BTEC Level 4 HNC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment
- BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment
Roles within the construction industry are varied and you may not realise the full breadth of the potential careers available. For example, you can start in an entry level role with just a short qualification, such as a labourer, or you can train to use plant and machinery on site. Alternatively, you might decide to learn a skilled trade in a recognised qualification or apprenticeship.
Many specialised trades are needed to complete a construction project, for example:
- formwork occupations workers are needed to prepare the moulds and supporting system for a concrete building and to receive the concrete
- specialist concrete occupations workers will place the concrete
- cladding occupations workers will attach the building covering
- stonemasons will chisel the feature stones
- tradespeople skilled in decorative finishes and industrial painting will finish the walls.
No prior qualifications necessary
Virtual learning areas and classrooms. Practical work will take place in specialised facilities.
Process for Application
Standard College application