- Progression and Careers
- Entry Requirements
- Facilities and Services
- Registration and Applying
This is a practical course that will help you get an understanding of dressmaking, the course will help to build your confidence at working with a professional machine and develop a range of related skills.
Aims of the course
The course is designed to introduce you to the skills and techniques used in dressmaking. We will provide you with opportunities that will allow you to explore, develop and test your creativity.
The course includes:
- Looking at different needles and threads suitable for fabric types
- Pattern cutting for beginners
- Looking at different fabrics
- Standard stitches
- Straight edges and gathered edges together Various seam types including: French seams and flat fell seams Simple buttonholes Topstitching Trimming work and pressing
You will received tutorials and will be assessed by the tutor.
Successful completion of this course, can lead to our higher level courses.
Work towards a career as an dressmaking / fashion design
This is a beginner's course in dressmaking you should have an interest in the area but no previous experience is needed.
You will have access to a dedicated fashion studio. However to fully participate in the practical exercises please bring the following materials / equipment for your classes:
- Pencil, eraser and sharpener
- Fabric shears
- Small sharp pointed scissors
- Stitch ripper
- Fine steel pins Metric tape measure Tailors chalk
Process for Application
Standard College application