- Progression and Careers
- Entry Requirements
- Facilities and Services
- Registration and Applying
This course offers an introduction to the keyboard and basic keyboard skills, using five-finger patterns. You will learn the basics of music reading and listening skills through practical application. This course is taught in the keyboard workstation room with a maximum of 10 per class. You will need access to a keyboard or piano outside class to practice between sessions.
Aims of the course
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate fundamentals of good technique: good posture and hand position
- Play simple 5-finger exercises, simple melodies and chords
- Play in front of others with some confidence
- Know the geography of the keyboard and be able to find and name keys easily
- Read and play a simple tune in either the bass or treble clef
- Play simple chord accompaniments
- Understand basic rhythmic symbols and perform simple rhythmic patterns.
By observation, question and answer and involving verbal feedback.
To our Improvers Keyboard course.
Ultimately to performing or teaching music.
This course is ideal for beginners, so no previous experience is necessary. You will need to have access to an instrument outside of class time in order to practice.
Our purpose-built keyboard classroom
Process for Application
Standard College application