Study English at a leading London college

Studying at Lewisham Southwark College, in the heart of London, is a great way to improve your English language skills and immerse yourself in the culture of England’s capital city.

The College is a friendly, supportive community of over 7,000 students. We’re proud of the many nationalities that make up our College – in fact, our students speak a total of 149 different languages!

We offer a wide range of English language courses to suit international students, whatever their future ambitions. You will study at our brand new modern Southwark campus, a few minutes’ walk from Waterloo, where you’ll find high-tech learning facilities and great teaching. You can choose from full-time, part-time, evening and summer courses.

Competitively priced, our courses include preparation for IELTS and Cambridge English qualifications, which are highly valued by universities and employers around the world. Our international English students significantly improve their language level and leave us ready to take their next steps – whether that’s further study or work.

Student satisfaction rates are very high. Students find that their teachers’ expertise and individual attention helps them develop their range of language and apply it to new contexts, so that their practical skills and confidence increase.

  • What can I study?

    Our courses for non-native English speakers are designed to improve speaking skills as well as reading, writing, listening, grammar and vocabulary. We offer both general English programmes and a range of courses to prepare students for the IELTS test.

    The College is an official IELTS Test Centre as well as a Cambridge exam centre.

    General English courses:

    IELTS preparation courses:

  • Where will I study?

    You will study at our state-of-the-art Southwark campus, just a few minutes’ walk from Waterloo train station, and opposite Southwark tube station (Jubilee line). The campus has recently undergone a £41 million renovation and offers an innovative and dynamic learning experience.

    Located on The Cut, the campus is close to London’s vibrant South Bank creative arts district, with well-known theatres the Old Vic, the Young Vic, the Globe and the National Theatre, as well as the IMAX cinema, all just a short walk away. Iconic landmarks such as Big Ben, the London Eye and the Shard provide an inspiring backdrop to your studies.

    The College is surrounded by a wealth of places to eat and drink including pavement cafés, restaurants and street stalls offering everything from curry to tapas and English pub grub to Thai food. There are also plenty of small supermarkets nearby.

    The campus is easy to get to by rail and underground. Numerous bus routes also pass close to the campus, making it simple to travel to College wherever you are living.

  • Why choose Lewisham Southwark College?

    By studying English as an international student at Lewisham Southwark College you’ll benefit from:

    • Experienced teachers who use interactive techniques to create a stimulating course with plenty of opportunity to practise your skills
    • Flexible course starting dates and a choice of full-time, part-time, evening and summer courses
    • Learning with other highly motivated students
    • Average class sizes of 12
    • 15 hours of classroom study per week (for full-time courses) which includes group, pair and individual work, as well as computer-based activities
    • High-tech teaching facilities, fully installed with the latest learning technologies
    • Dedicated online learning site for each course to support learning
    • Great student support, including individual tutorials
    • Expert careers advice to help you decide what to do next – whether that is a job or further study. The College has excellent links with universities across the south east
    • Excellent central London location
  • Studying in the UK – visa requirements

    If you come from a country in the EEA (European Economic area including the European Union plus Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland, you will not need a visa to study in the UK.

    If you come from a country outside the EEA and Switzerland, you’ll need to obtain the appropriate visa to meet the UK’s immigration requirements.

    Find out more

  • Accommodation

    The place where you stay is important. You might like to stay in a hall of residence, in a house-share with other students or in a homestay; it may be somewhere modern or more traditional. Although we don't offer halls of residence or properties of our own, we can refer you to accommodation providers who have lots of options nearby, and who are experienced in meeting the requirements of international students and whose services meet the standard for British Council registration

  • How to apply

    Once you’ve explored our courses and found the right programme for you, you can apply online. If you are applying from outside the UK please complete the application form. From within the UK, you can apply online here. We will invite you to take an assessment with an English language specialist to ensure that the course you’ve applied for is at the right level for your current skills.

You will find up-to-date information on fees on our course pages.

Other useful websites for International students:



Enquire Now

Please tell us your name
Please enter a valid email address
Invalid Input
Please enter an enquiry